Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
The SERVPRO of Lynchburg/Bedford & Campbell Counties is committed to serving its local customers in any area that it can. We strive to go above and beyond by not only responding quickly to any fire damages you may be facing but also by providing important tips to help prevent fire damage before it happens. Listed below are some key points to write down or print to hang on your refrigerator for the whole family to see, when it comes to fire damage. These are not hard steps to take and they can potentially save you thousands of dollars in case you do experience fire damage. Take the time now to review them and be prepared!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (434) 525-9559
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.