Prevent Electrical Fires in Your Home
Electrical fires are the cause of many house fires, and can be some of the most difficult to put out due to the difficulty of identifying the source. Proper care of electrical outlets and appliances will help to prevent electrical fires. It is very important to follow manufacturer guidelines when using electrical appliance and systems, such as the wattage guidelines given when changing light bulbs. Be sure that you do not plug in too many electrical units into one outlet, as this could burn out the outlet and cause a fire. Be sure that you have your wiring checked regularly by an electrician. Faulty wiring is a leading cause of electrical fires and is a common problem in many homes. If you hear a sparking sound near a particular electrical outlet or appliance, or see smoke or smell burning after plugging a unit in, immediately unplug the object and call an electrician to check your wiring.
Finally, if an electrical fire does occur, do NOT attempt to put the blaze out with water. This will only make the fire worse and could shock or electrocute you. If safe to do so, attempt to unplug the source. Put the fire out using baking soda or a blanket to smother the flames. If the fire is larger, a class C fire extinguisher can be used. If the fire continues to grow, leave immediately! Do not be tempted to put out a growing fire by yourself. Allow the firefighters to do so.
If your home has been damaged by fire, please call SERVPRO of Lynchburg/Bedford & Campbell Counties at (434)-525-9559.