What To Do If You Spot Mold
Mold is an invasive fungus that grows in wet or humid environments and can spread rapidly in only a few days. Mold can be very dangerous to the health of those living in the home, especially if it spreads into air ducts or grows in an area of the house in which the family is frequently present. Mold can be visible or hidden and will almost always occur in areas that have recently been affected by excessive moisture or humidity. If you suspect that there is a mold problem in your home, there are several steps you can take to get help and resolve the problem as quickly as possible.
Step 1: If you suspect that you have a mold problem but the mold is not visible, you must call a certified professional to conduct Indoor Air Quality Testing on your home (SERVPRO does not provide Indoor Air Quality Tests). Do not attempt to use a self-test kit to test for mold as these are highly inaccurate.
Step 2: Call SERVPRO of Lynchburg/Bedford & Campbell Counties! SERVPRO personnel will be on site within four hours of receiving and processing your notice of loss.
Step 3: Do not attempt to remove or treat any affected areas. Attempting to do so will only cause the mold spores to spread further within the affected area and can even spread into other areas of the property. Instead, isolate the area by turning off any air units and fans that could be blowing air into or out of the area. Do not touch the mold; wait patiently until a SERVPRO crew arrives to take care of the situation.
Once our team of highly qualified SERVPRO technicians arrives on the scene, they will take several steps to mitigate the situation and take care of the mold as quickly as possible.